Electroplating of furniture: Stainless steel is a corrosion-resistant kind of steel. This steel has at least 10.5 per cent chromium, making it extremely oxidation resistant. On the other hand, stainless steel develops a chromium oxide layer rather than iron oxide, often known as rust. This film has the opposite function of iron oxide, acting as a barrier to further corrosion. The benefit of plating on other metals is corrosion prevention. In low-oxygen or low-circulation conditions, chromium coating stainless steel increases corrosion resistance. Furthermore, coating stainless steel will change its look. If your project requires better surface conductivity or solderability, you may choose to plate stainless steel.
The process of plating on stainless steel
Plating on stainless steel may be done in a variety of ways. Electroplating and electroless plating are the two major processes. However, there are numerous variants within those two broad categories.
- The most prevalent process of metal plating is electroplating. It involves depositing a thin layer of metal onto the surface of a substrate using an electric current. In electroplating, the plating metal is attached to the anode of an electrical circuit, which is the positively charged electrode. The cathode, or negatively charged electrode, is also connected to the substrate. The plating metal and substrate are immersed in a specially designed electrolytic solution known as a plating bath. After the components have been submerged in the plating bath, an electric current is applied to the anode. The plating metal’s metal atoms are oxidised and dissolved in the electrolytic solution by this current. At the cathode, the dissolved metal ions are reduced and deposited on the substrate. The chemical composition of the bath, the temperature of the bath, the voltage level of the current, the length of time the current is applied, and the distance between the anode and the cathode are all variables that might affect the process’ result.
- Electroless plating is a common electroplating option. This plating technique, also known as autocatalytic plating or conversion coating, does not need electricity. Instead, a chemical reaction results in the deposit of a nickel coating on the substrate. You place the substrate in a bath containing nickel salt, hypophosphite, and several other chemicals that manage the pH levels and keep the process stable to produce this chemical reaction. The base material works as a catalyst, causing the nickel to deposit onto it after placing it in the bath. This is a chemical process that does not require any electricity or additional machinery. When you employ the electroless plating process, the coating you get is generally much harder and less porous than when you utilise electroplating. This increases the coating’s corrosion resistance, making electroless plating useful for goods that require strong corrosion and wear resistance. Even on complicated forms, electroless plating generates highly uniform deposits. A nickel-phosphorous alloy, which is good for corrosion resistance, is one choice for electroless plating. Meanwhile, a nickel-boron alloy provides exceptional wear resistance. We may also add ceramics to the coating to make it more durable. We clean the substrate using chemical cleansers before starting the electroless plating process. After that, we dip it into the solution and add anti-oxidants. Electroless plating is a less complicated technique that offers you greater control over the outcome.
Benefits of electroplating of furniture
- Stainless steel has many advantages, one of which is its durability. When such a material is incorporated into various aspects or parts of furniture, it provides an additional advantage that is arguably superior to other materials, such as wood. Comparedsuitable to a glass coffee table with wood legs, a glass coffee table with stainless steel legs would give this piece of furniture greater stability and durability. The stainless steel material has previously undergone several chemical modifications to improve its strength. The grain size of stainless steel, in particular, has been finer. The stainless steel coffee table’s increased durability allows you to use it for extended periods without fear of it breaking or deteriorating. Processes like stainless steel alloying, in addition to the material itself, offer the material a better level of endurance.
- One of the most difficult aspects of working with wood furniture is that it may quickly be altered if exposed to the weather. If you have a dining table mostly constructed of wood, for example, it can quickly be susceptible to permanent damage if there is a regular amount of leakage from water or other types of fluids. In addition, because of the high amount of exposure to the weather, the wood would ultimately darken and maybe even break apart. As a result, stainless steel is the ideal material for usage in these sorts of furnishings. Its capacity to tolerate varying degrees of corrosion ensures that your household furniture installation will last longer. In addition, you can be confident that your table will resist oxidation, primarily if the stainless steel material has been alloyed with chromium.
- Another advantage of stainless steel furniture is that it is extremely heat resistant. If you haven’t considered it, wood furniture can be a significant fire risk threat, primarily if it is used in high-fire-risk areas like the kitchen. When combined with a failure to follow standard procedures, fire spreads more quickly, especially when the wood is used as a medium. Even while such instances are uncommon, they might be a strong indicator that you should start thinking about adding stainless steel furniture into your house. In addition, when exposed to high temperatures, stainless steel furniture does not deform much. Therefore, you can also be certain that it will provide an additional layer of protection to your house in a disaster such as a fire.
- Stainless steel offers another degree of adaptability to your home furnishings from an aesthetic standpoint. While stainless steel is only available in one hue, stainless steel furniture can liven up any room in your home, depending on the type of finish. Furthermore, stainless steel’s neutral colours make it virtually compatible with a wide range of home items. If you want your home to have a more modern feel, stainless steel furniture is a wonderful way to improve the aesthetic and style of your home. Like any other form of furniture, stainless steel requires care, but it doesn’t have to be a time-consuming process. Unlike wood, which may be difficult to maintain, stainless steel just requires a minor amount of polishing, wiping, and sanitising to keep it clean. If you consistently do the essential low-maintenance techniques, you won’t need to employ specialist chemicals or cleaning agents to maintain the furniture’s perfect shine.
Stainless steel, with its high chromium concentration of 10% to 11%, is naturally resistant to corrosion, stains, and rust; however, it is not fully stain-proof. Therefore, plating is also done for aesthetic purposes, to make the metal simpler to solder, to make it more robust or tougher, to decrease friction, to help paint adhere better, to make the metal more or less conductive, or to shield it from radiation.